Saturday, April 9, 2011

recycled seed starters


I love Spring and this time of year always makes me wish I had my very own vegetable garden.  I don't really have a green thumb naturally but every year I pick up a few new tricks and manage to help my plants survive  little longer then the year before.  This spring we had a packet of extra sweet basil seeds lying around and some seed starter soil, so Lyla and I got creative about what we could use to plant the seeds in.  We made little greenhouses that have worked amazingly.  Using a rinsed out yogurt cup we just punctured the bottom then filled it with soil and planted our seeds, then I rinsed out a baby food jar and stuck that on top and put it in the windowsill - within a few days all of our seeds were budding.  Can't wait to make some pesto with these guys!

3 comments:

Jackie Kuhn said...

Great project! You are such a good mom!

Joanne said...

Awesome way to start seeds!!!!

Stephanie said...

What an amazing idea! I never in a million years would have thought to use the baby food jar! I am totally going to do this project with my kids tomorrow!!! Ahh, I'm so excited I can't wait!!